PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Amazing January Weight Loss

I posted this to my own blog but also felt a pull to share it here. I hope you'll like this, I see it as a refreshing antidote to all the diet related tosh in the media over the past month.


It’s nearly the end of January and I’d like to share with you the amazing weight loss I’ve had so far this month. It’s been a fantastic month and I’ve had far more success than I ever thought possible. At times it was hard, at times emotional, but I stuck with it and I’m pleased to announce my weight loss success publicly.

In January, I lost the following:

  • the anxiety about not being able to feign interest in a career in IT Service Management
  • the torment of trying to have a pristine house at all times
  • that Sunday afternoon/evening dread of going to a job which makes me feel dead inside the next day
  • the burden of believing having a job is the only way to pay the bills

I quit my job. I quit a 10 year career in IT. It pays well and it’s pretty secure. And I’ve just walked away from it.

I can honestly say I have not felt this good, this happy, relieved and positive about my life for a long time. I remember a Sunday afternoon at the end of last year when I was cleaning the bathroom, trying to get all my housework done before the treadmill of Monday morning started up again. A few bottles fell off the shelf into the bath. Nothing was broken, but I burst into floods of tears and shouted “I hate my life”.

I can say now that I love my life. The security has gone, but it’s been replaced by an excitement and positivity for the future that I’ve not felt in a long time. I feel as if I am finally living as the authentic me, and no longer living as what society says I “should” be.

My desire to overeat has fallen away. I’ve been working on this for a while now, and the desire to bolt to the fridge does still rear its head from time to time. The main place it shouted and screamed for attention was at work, sat in my battery cage desk, trapped and forced to perform tasks which I had no interest in or desire to do. As I work out my notice, this nagging voice which demands crisps, Mars Bars, toast – well anything I can lay my hand on really – has shrunk.

I do have plans for the future, and I will be sharing them here. But in the meantime, I just want to pat myself on the back for a great amount of weight lost in January. I look forward to shedding more , including self-doubt and anxiety, over the coming year.

ps – if you’re wondering where the amount of lbs I’ve lost/dress sizes I’ve dropped comes into it I’m sorry I have no idea. I don’t own a pair of scales and I’ve cut all the size labels out of my clothes. These numbers are simply not important to me.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome!! Sounds like in your lost, you actually gain!! Excited to see where you are headed....Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Jen! so excited for you :)Keep your shine on 8)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen,

    I really love this piece! I would say you have shed some unnecessary weight, indeed! It's wonderful watching you go through this evolution... one in which you listen to your heart and follow its lead. Now that's what I call a makeover! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It´s so great, that you have thrown this weight far from you. Now you can start new. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you!! Thanks for sharing your inspirational "aha moment".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sharing, hope it will motivate another people who suffer in weight loss

    Buy Adiphene Online

    ReplyDelete